British Prime Minister Boris is an elite, not worried

At noon on July 23, local time, the British Conservative Party officially announced the results of the election of the new party leader. Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson beat the current British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt in a vote of 66.4% against 33.6% in the vote of all Conservative Party members and was elected as the new leader of the Conservative Party.

Since the Conservative Party is currently the ruling party in the United Kingdom, Johnson will be invited to serve as the British Prime Minister after he went to Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen, and officially replaced Teresa May, the “caretaker prime minister” who had already resigned a month ago. Main Downing Street No. 10.

In the past 20 years since his administration, Boris Johnson has always been one of the most controversial figures in British politics. A golden chaos and populist political ideas have brought him the label “English Trump” in recent years. However, Boris and Trump have very different paths of life and different political experiences.

Oxford high school student with a gold spoon
Johnson’s full name, Alexander Boris Depfeffer Johnson, was born on June 19, 1964 and is the eldest son of four parents. His paternal ancestor was a journalist from the Ottoman Empire. He also had Jewish blood in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and even Russia. The farthest can be traced back to King George II. Born in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York, his father, Stanley Johnson, was pursuing a degree in economics at Columbia University, and his mother, Charlotte, was a well-off artist. According to the United States’ patriarchal nationality law, Johnson has both British and American citizenship, and he did not officially give up his American citizenship until he became the British Foreign Secretary in 2016.

His middle name “Boris” comes from a Russian exile who his parents met in New York. He likes to use this Russian name to show people, and his surname Johnson is too common in Britain. Even after he became famous and in politics, the British are generally used to refer to him by Boris.

Boris, who was born into a wealthy family, drifted around with his parents as a child. Only three months after being born in New York, Boris returned to the UK to live in the arms of his family because his mother was admitted to Oxford. After more than a year, the family moved back to the United States because of his father working at the World Bank. When Boris was 9 years old, his father went to work for the European Commission, so he mastered fluent French in Brussels until he was sent back to England at the age of 11 to attend a boarding private school. After two years, he won a scholarship to enter the UK. The most prestigious private school is Eton College.

Despite his superior family, the drifting experience has made Boris, a young boy, have few friends in the UK, and he has had experiences of being isolated and bullying in school. However, this boy with a Russian name quickly emerged at Eton College. Although often accused by the teacher of being lazy, Boris’s performance is not bad, especially good at English, Latin and history. He also actively participated in Eaton’s club activities, participated in the debate, and became the editor of the school newspaper.

At Eton College, Boris met many friends, including the younger brother of Princess Diana, the ninth-generation Spencer Earl Charles Spencer, and the British, who resigned two years ago because of the failure of the referendum on the Brexit vote. Prime Minister David Cameron. In 1983, following his parents’ Oxford Trail, 19-year-old Boris received a scholarship from the University of Oxford’s Belleol College, where he enrolled in the prestigious classical studies, extensively studying Latin, Greek, literature, history, Archaeology and other courses.

At Oxford, Boris was elected president of the Oxford Debating Society and joined the Burlington Club where Oxford elite students were invited. Interestingly, the generation of Oxford students emerged in the early 21st century with a large number of well-known Conservative Party politicians, including former party leader and Prime Minister David Cameron, former party leader and foreign minister William Hague, and his direct in this party leader’s campaign. Opponents Michael Goff and Jeremy Hunt. In addition, Boris also met the aristocratic school flower Allegra Mostin-Owen in Oxford. The two were engaged when they were enrolled at school and married in September 1987.

The most appreciated reporter of Mrs. Thatcher
After graduating from college, Boris went to a consulting company first, but only a week later, he found himself not here. After resigning, he entered the Times internship through family relationships, but was quickly involved in a scandal involving impersonation of other people’s statements in the text, and was eventually dismissed by the editor of The Times. Later, he used the relationship between Marx Hastings, the old Oxford supervisor who was the president of the Oxford Debating Society and the editor of the Daily Telegraph, to obtain a master position in the newspaper and subsequently became The columnist of the newspaper’s European headquarters in Brussels.

Boris’s fluent French and his father’s work at the European Commission have helped him a lot in his work in Brussels. However, he is full of criticism of the European Commission, especially the then European Commission President Jacques Deloi. When the Berlin Wall collapsed, the European continent was full of optimism about European integration, but Boris was a stranger in Brussels. He seized every opportunity to use his pen to express his dissatisfaction with the European interests that harmed Britain’s interests, which made him a target in the Brussels press, but his firm “European scepticism” attitude made him especially in the United Kingdom. It has captured a large number of readers. This includes Mrs. Thatcher, the then British Prime Minister’s “Iron Lady”, who once called Boris “the reporter I admire most.”

In February 1990, Boris’s marriage was in crisis, and his wife, Allegra, left him and returned to England. His new wife, Marina Wheeler, was a Cambridge graduated lawyer and later won the title of Queen’s Counsel. Marina moved to Brussels, cohabited with Boris, and quickly got married after Boris divorced. The two had four children. In 2018, the two announced their separation.

Marina is a staunch liberal who specializes in public and human rights law. She is influenced by her. Boris also has a liberal stance that is different from traditional conservatives in issues such as race, same-sex relationship and climate change. This was reflected in Boris’s political career in the future, and he also won a considerable number of young supporters for the Conservative Party.

In 1994, Boris left Brussels and returned to work in London. In the 1997 general election, for the first time in his life, he represented the Conservative Party in the election of a Labour Party’s safe constituency, which was not unexpectedly defeated. Boris then went to the “Daily Telegraph” sister publication “Observer” magazine and became a columnist. Boris, who likes cars and has a good sense of humour, also took the car column of the famous American fashion magazine GQ.

Boris’s bohemian character sometimes makes colleagues laugh and cry. The colleagues in the newspaper often work overtime because of his manuscript, and the magazine keeps receiving the huge ticket left by Boris for driving a new car but illegally parking. However, his talent, writing and sense of humor still brought considerable sales to the magazine. In 1999, Boris became the editor-in-chief of Observer magazine and officially became one of the top media people in the UK.

The first peak of a political career
Boris’s political career began in 2001, and he decided to participate in the election of the Conservative Security seat because of the retirement of the Henry constituency in Oxfordshire. Although the regional party department’s evaluation of him tended to be two poles, he eventually represented the Conservative Party and was elected as a member of parliament. At the beginning of the 21st century, the British Parliament was in the age of Blair and the Labour Party. Therefore, Boris’s “backseats” career in the first few years was lacking. What is even worse is that he first entered the parliament because he was in the wrong position of the Conservative Party, and he was not in harmony with Ian Duncan Smith, who was elected as the leader. He did not get a position in the shadow cabinet, nor did he have a very exciting parliament. Speaking, even often absent from the parliamentary vote.

In 2003, Boris’s road to politics ushered in a turning point. Smith, who was born with a military background and lacked personal charisma, was forced to step down by the party. Howard became the new leader. Boris was directly named as the “Conservative Party’s new generation” by the new leader and was appointed as the vice chairman of the Conservative Party. Two years later, Cameron took over as the leader of the Conservative Party, and Boris was appointed Minister of Higher Education for the “Shadow Cabinet.”

Boris, who entered the political high-level, still couldn’t control his mouth. He compared the frequent changes of the party heads of the Conservative Party to the “Emirates of the Papua New Guinean tribal tribes” for several years, which once attracted a strong protest from the Papua New Guinea government. But his big mouth and sharp pen are still popular with the British. Even if he was removed from the magazine editor, he only wrote a column, published a book and participated in a TV show. Boris’s income in 2007 reached 540,000 pounds. Ranked third in the UK’s parliamentary income list.

The election of the mayor of London in 2008 became the first peak of Boris’s political career. As the UK’s largest direct election, although not having a voice in parliament, the position and power of the mayor of London must not be underestimated in British politics. Boris once again qualified for the election after a wave of opposition in the party, singled out the Labour Party mayor, Livingstone, who has been re-elected for two terms and successfully led the London Olympics. Boris’s high popularity and the years of contacts in the media circle, let Livin Stone, who is 20 years older than Boris, dare not underestimate the afterlife. In the end, thanks to London’s largest free newspaper, The London Flag Evening News, Boris supported the dream of Livingston’s re-election to the London Olympics with 53.2% and 46.8%.

Many Chinese readers first met Boris. In August 2008, he served as the mayor of the Olympic city to Beijing to attend the Olympic closing ceremony. A unkempt blond hair, a rather sloppy dress, and a slightly arrogant style, left many Chinese audiences with a far cry from the traditional “English gentleman”. However, in the appointment of the mayor of London, Boris has made a lot of achievements.

Unlike most of the mayor’s non-elected British cities, the directly elected mayor of London has considerable power over London’s law and order, transportation, and urban construction. Boris first targeted the security environment in London, appointed himself as the chairman of the London Metropolitan Police Authority, and supported the Metropolitan Police (the “Scotland Yard”) with greater police power.

For example, Boris supports the police’s power to intercept searches on the streets of London. This police power has long been controversial because the police inevitably searched specific communities and specific ethnic minorities in practice, which exacerbated London’s ethnic relationship as a multi-ethnic city and boosted the outbreak to some extent in 2011. Serious riots in the Tottenham area of ​​London. But objectively speaking, within the mayor of Boris, the rate of murder in London has dropped by 50%, and the rate of murders involving knives has fallen by more than 30%. These two indicators were two after the departure of Boris in May 2016. There has been a significant rebound every year. Boris has been well-received by Scottish police officers during his tenure as governor, and London was spared a severe terrorist attack during the eight years of Boris’s administration. The 2012 London Olympics was also held safely.

In addition, after taking office, Boris first put the predecessor of Livingstone’s public bicycle concept into practice. London became the first international city in the world to have a public bicycle system. Users only need a bank card to be in the city of London. And many parking spots in the suburbs are convenient for renting bicycles, and this sharing system is also known as “Boris Bike” and is well received by the public. Boris also introduced a new eco-friendly double-decker bus. The new double-decker bus with hybrid design gradually replaced the old high-emission bus, and the old black taxi was gradually replaced by the new model to meet the emission reduction requirements. Boris also reduced the area of ​​the congestion charging zone in western London, which allowed car owners to travel around half of London. If the congestion charging area is too large, it will lead to a significant increase in driving mileage, which will actually increase pollutant emissions. However, during his eight years in office, Boris’s bus and subway fares increased by 50%, far exceeding the inflation rate, which made London citizens, especially low- and middle-income groups, complain.

In addition to the color of the hair, the two people are indeed very similar, that is, “durian physique.” How many British people love Boris, how many British people hate him, and the latter will not be less than the former.

In terms of urban construction, Boris expanded the construction of London’s “affordable housing”. In the past eight years, it has built about 100,000 sets of housing belonging to this category, which is an increase over the number of Livingstone’s eight years. Due to the stability of supply, London’s housing prices were suppressed by the 2008 economic crisis, and there was no retaliatory madness after a few years of lows. However, after Boris retired, London’s house prices showed a wave of swells after 2016 due to the Brexit, the devaluation of the British pound and the stimulation of foreign speculators. Today, London’s first home buyers have become increasingly difficult to catch up with the rate of housing prices. Thus, a poll conducted by Boris immediately after he left the mayor in 2016 showed that London residents had 52% satisfaction with his mayor’s term and dissatisfaction with only 29%.

Enter the road to No. 10, Downing Street
In 2010, the Conservatives regained the 13-year-old parliament controlled by the Labour Party, and Cameron officially became prime minister. Boris succumbed to the five-year term of the coalition government, ignoring state and parliamentary affairs, and rarely commenting on political affairs outside London. But before the 2015 general election, he will step down as the mayor of London and return to the center of the parliamentary stage. It was an open secret. After eight years of life as a mayor in London, Boris has accumulated considerable political capital. He is no longer a journalist with a very weak foundation in the party, but a powerful faction who is always capable of challenging the party leader and even the prime minister.

Boris’ decision to return to the parliament was precisely because he saw Cameron’s commitment to hold the referendum on the referendum in the 2015 general election. As a long-suffering suspect in the Conservative Party, he has been forbearing for a long time. To this end, he ignored Cameron’s hope that he would enter the olive branch of the new cabinet. The picture shows that the Brexit referendum and the Cameron government will be defeated in the referendum on the Brexit referendum. If they win, they will have the greatest political capital. To overthrow his schoolmate and sit directly on the throne of the Prime Minister.

In February 2016, Boris officially announced his position on the Brexit party, saying that Prime Minister Cameron’s negative impact on Brexit was “too exaggerated”, while the EU was described by him as “failure following the tragedy of Napoleon, Hitler and others. After that, once again, I wanted to rebuild the attempt of the Roman Empire to unify Europe.” On the day when Boris boarded the Brexit ship, the pound in the international foreign exchange market fell 2%, which fully demonstrated his weight in the great cause of the Brexit.

In June of that year, as Boris wished, the British referendum decided to leave the European Union, and Cameron announced his resignation in the next day. Just when everyone thought that Boris’s opportunity had arrived, his most important Brexit ally, Michael Goff, gave him a knife behind him. Goff said that Boris “has no way to lead the whole party, and there is no way to build a team to complete the task.” The editorial of the Daily Telegraph said on the day that “this is the most touching political assassination of a generation.” Perhaps it was a deep sense of chaos. Boris did not choose to insist. He announced that he would not participate in the party’s first election and watched Teresa May’s election. He accepted the position of the foreign minister appointed by Mei in the new cabinet and officially entered the core of the British cabinet. .

Boris’s performance in the appointment of the foreign minister is actually lacking. The main reason is that in order to weaken the power of the foreign minister in the process of Brexit, the new two positions of the Minister of Brexit and the Minister of International Trade have been established, and the authority of the foreign minister has been erected. At first, Boris did not seem to care very much about this. He still maintained his usual style. The British interests were prioritized and pro-American anti-Russian. After the Russian defectary spy father and daughter were poisoned in the United Kingdom, Boris supported the British royal family and all officials to boycott the Russian World Cup.

The Russian World Cup is not over yet, and Boris opposed the Teresa May’s Brexit agreement at the Chex conference. He used a very beautiful resignation letter to announce that he could not support the Prime Minister’s plan and could only resign. Both Boris and the Brexit Davis hanged in the crown, opening up a year of turmoil within the Conservative Party and preventing the UK from leaving the European Union on schedule. In the end, Teresa May resigned in tears in June this year.

Boris finally ushered in the opportunity he had been waiting for. He did not hesitate to sign up for the party leader. In the party’s primary election, each round was far ahead of all opponents. Even in the final round of primaries, Boris encouraged his supporters to vote for weaker opponents. Hunter, to eliminate the Goff who once had a sickle behind him. His forbearance and self-confidence broke out all the energy in this party election, and eventually defeated Hunt in the mailing vote of all Conservative Party members, and wished to enter the 10th Downing Street.

Similar to Trump?
Looking back on Boris’s political career to date, he has used the populist side and has suffered a lot of criticism and even got into legal troubles in the process of politics and Brexit. However, some conclusions that compare Boris and Trump and draw similarities are unfounded.

Compared to the president of Trump, a businessman, Boris has taken a fairly typical British elite path, both in his career and in his career. Boris’s political experience is very complete. From the parliamentarians and mayors to the cabinet ministers to the prime minister, he has accumulated considerable experience. Moreover, he is deeply rooted in the Conservative Party, has a group of hard-core fans, and does not lack temporary allies.

Unlike Trump’s merchant-like metamorphosis and lack of path to obstinacy, Boris is not a typical opportunist. His insistence on European scepticism is the key to his ultimate overwhelming support from the Conservatives. In contrast, the conservative party members who have long been tired of the Brexit dispute have abandoned the unresolved and troubled plums. Most people will naturally not support the temporary jetty to support the Brexit. Since Hunter is finally moving closer to Boris’s policy, for voters, between “true and false Boris”, of course, everyone must choose the one.

Even from a small side, Boris’s English writing level is also difficult for Trump to look forward to. Boris rarely speaks on Twitter. On the contrary, he is extremely good at long and medium-length articles that are imposing and using a lot of metaphors and allusions. As a person who lives on words for many years, his vocabulary often makes it necessary for the British to read the dictionary to understand the true meaning of the words in his article, but this nuance is exactly the most fascinating humor of the British. The source of ridicule.

However, in addition to the color of the hair, the two really have a very similar, that is, “durian physique.” How many British people love Boris, how many British people hate him, and the latter will not be less than the former. His arrogance, laziness, and the “elite superiority” revealed all the time are not the beautiful qualities that ordinary British people appreciate. Even within the Conservative Party, with his election, the Chancellor of the Exchequer Hammond, the Minister of Justice of the United States, the International Development Minister Stuart, and even the former Boris subordinate, the Deputy Foreign Minister Sir Alan Duncan, announced their tenure. Only Teresa May resigned on the last day to express her enthusiasm for the election of Boris.

The Conservative Party will not get rid of the dilemma of splitting because of Brexit because it chooses a Boris that supports the hardship against Europe. The British Parliament will not unite the ruling and the opposition to tide over the difficulties because of a new prime minister. In the face of political polarization and endless disputes caused by Brexit, Teresa May, who tried to bridge the differences, has proved to be a failure, and Boris, who is deeply involved and has a strong position, can hold it. The opposition of the opposition party’s artillery and the ruling party, and the difficulties that have passed through the months before the ruling, remains to be seen. The road to Boris’s prime minister is not destined to be a smooth road.