Life

Ultra-processed food may increase cancer risk

  Ultra-processed food refers to food that has undergone a lot of processing during the production process, such as carbonated beverages, mass-produced packaged bread, etc. Using dietary information from 200,000 middle-aged participants collected by the UK Biobank, British researchers monitored the health of these people for 10 years and found that for every 10% increase in a person’s diet, ultra-processed foods, The incidence of cancer will increase by 2%, especially the incidence of ovarian cancer will increase by 19%. For every 10% increase in ultra-processed food consumption, overall cancer mortality increases by 6%, including a 16% increase in breast cancer mortality and a 30% increase in ovarian cancer mortality. In addition, the study found that adults who consumed more ultra-processed foods were associated with an increased risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Cancer cells aren’t just lazy, they’re frugal, study finds

  For a long time, scientists believed that cancer cells consume more glucose than normal cells to grow. However, in recent years, there have been continuous studies that have impacted this classic theory. Not long ago, a Princeton University study published in “Nature” stated that tumors seem to be inactive in acquiring energy and use energy carefully rather than profligately. Tumors will only use energy where it is needed most, such as functions related to cell replication. Through mouse experiments, it was found that compared with healthy tissues, in a variety of primary solid tumors of lung cancer, pancreatic cancer and colon cancer, the tumors do not have high metabolic rates as usually assumed, but are really “lazy”. Tumors often face an environment that is not conducive to metabolism because they do not have the proper vasculature to develop around them and can only make do with what little energy they have, the researchers said. Under a low energy budget, cancer cells chose to ignore other tissue functions and successfully completed proliferation again and again. This discovery not only allows people to see the different side of cancer cells, but also has great significance for the design of anti-cancer strategies.

Why the Rampant of Rodents Has an Obvious Seasonal Rule

  The team of Zhang Zhibin, a researcher at the Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, recently discovered that gut microbes play a crucial role in the seasonal reproduction of Brandt’s vole. The research team measured the physical state characteristics of Brandt’s voles under different photoperiods by artificially manipulating the length of the photoperiod indoors. The results showed that not only the weight gain of Brandt’s voles exposed to the short photoperiod was slowed, but also the weight of their gonads (testes and epididymis) was significantly reduced, and hormones related to reproduction (such as follicle stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone and testosterone) were significantly reduced. ) levels and the expression levels of related genes were also significantly reduced, which can be seen as the performance of decreased reproductive ability. These data show that the reproductive capacity of the vole brandi is stronger under the long photoperiod, which also explains why the reproductive behavior of the voles is the most during the longer photoperiod period from March to September.

error: Content is protected !!